Monday, June 25, 2012

Pot roast...my way...


Pot roast...yummmm


I was inspired...or determined to not be outdone...

We had pot roast at the Dish in Charlotte NC.  My guys proceeded to tell me it was the best pot roast ever. So, I took that as a challenge I guess.  I determined to make it just as soon as I could.  That ended up being today.  I have made beef stew before but never attempted a pot roast.  I read some recipes online and read the reviews attached to them.  What I came up with is not any single recipe but a conglomeration of several.  That makes me feel I can just call it my recipe.  Here goes...

Pot Roast in the Slow Cooker
4 pound chuck roast
2 onions peeled and cut into eight pieces
1 bag mini carrots (already prepped for you, how perfect)
4 cloves garlic just smashed with the knife
2 cans beef broth
2 sprigs fresh rosemary and thyme
2 bay leaves
Montreal Steak Seasoning
Olive Oil
salt, pepper and garlic powder

Put one Tbs of olive oil in your skillet and heat it to medium high.  Have your roast at room temp or as close as you can.  Pat it dry and then coat it with the Montreal Steak seasoning, salt, pepper and garlic powder on both sides.  When your pan gets hot, sear off all the parts of the meat you can.  I let it cook for three minutes each side and then stood it on its side one at a time and seared them as well.  Put the meat in the slow cooker when you have it seared.  Put a little more oil in the skillet and throw in the onions and carrots and let them cook about five minutes.  Put those in the slow cooker around the meat.  Add one of the cans of beef broth to the skillet and wisk up all the stuff on the bottom of the pan.  Put that in the slow cooker. Add the garlic, rosemary, thyme and bay leaves.  Add enough of the second can of beef broth to cover the meat.  It took the whole can for me but it all depends on the size of your roast.  Make sure the herbs are submerged so the flavor goes all through the broth and not just on the meat.  I put the slow cooker on high for the first hour and then turned it down to low for the rest of the cooking time.  A total of seven hours is what I did.

I made some of my garlic smashed potatoes and cut off a hunk of rosemary potato bread and called it dinner.

I was very satisfied with how this turned out.  Not bad, if I say so myself...

Sorbet for dessert...satisfied and full!  It sure is nice to be back in the kitchen!!



The perfect bite...

2 comments:

  1. Pot Roast is yummy. My second favorite beef preparation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pot Roast is yummy. My second favorite beef preparation.

    ReplyDelete