Friday, June 15, 2012

It's steak night....




Every once in a while you just need a steak.  And today was that day.  The menu for the evening is rib eye steak, rosemary roasted potatoes, bacon asparagus and herbed focaccia.  (I do wish I had taken the picture before I cut my steak, but you get the idea.) I gave the recipe for the bacon asparagus in a previous post so I won't bore you with repeating it.  Believe me though, I was not bored eating it. It is just too wicked!!

I have experimented with different cuts of beef and preparations and I have finally hit on my favorite.  And it also turns out pretty good every time.  I go for a good rib eye.  To me that means about an inch thick and very lightly marbled with fat.  We are not gristle people in this house so I try to go to the lean side.  I bring the meat to room temperature and coat it pretty heavily with Montreal Steak Seasoning and a little garlic powder.  I bring a skillet up to medium high with just enough olive oil in it to coat the bottom.  I used to think when they told you to put it in a screaming hot skillet that it needed to be on high but it really doesn't.  Medium high is just fine.  Cook the steak four minutes each side and then let it rest on a plate for about five minutes covered with tin foil.  That makes it just the brown side of pink.  The way we like it.  As a kid growing up we always had sauteed onions with our steak so I still do that now.  Just slice an onion (in this case it was the other half of the onion I used in the asparagus) and put it in a pan with some olive oil, salt and pepper and cook on low until tender.

When you have steak you have to have potatoes, right?  Rosemary roasted is my darling husband/best friends favorite preparation.  Mine too!  Just peel and cube the potatoes.  Rinse the starch off a bit and dry them really well.  Toss them with about a tablespoon of olive oil, chopped fresh rosemary, salt and pepper.  I put them on a roasting pan in a 400 degree oven for about twenty minutes.  Just check on them and stir them around at fifteen minutes.  I then start checking them at every five.

And to round out the meal I purchased some herbed focaccia from Wal Mart.  It really is not a good thing that I discovered their bakery.  So far everything I have tried has just been wonderful.  Not good for the hips but the lips and taste buds are loving every minute of it.

Pretty good meal if I do say so myself...and I do.  Full and very happy!!!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great! I still haven't tried these rosemary potatoes yet....... So jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This preparation of the asparagus is my favorite prep. Makes my pee smell funny too.

    ReplyDelete