Monday, June 4, 2012

Tasty chicken...


Monday...not my favorite day.  But, I thought I would make it an exciting day by trying something new.  My darling husband/best friend and I were watching the Food Network and caught a Barefoot Contessa episode.  She was making fish with a marinade she claimed was originally for chicken.  I really enjoy everything she was putting in it so I jotted it down.


Basic recipe
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup olive oil (not extra virgin)
2 Tbs grated ginger
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 Tbs dijon mustard


We had some ciabatta buns let from the cheeseburger night and it would be a crime to let them go to waste.  I ran into the store on the way home and got some boneless skinless chicken breasts.  My darling husband/best friend is not a fan of chicken but I thought if I got enough flavor on it and put it on a ciabatta bun, he would eat it.  And I was right!  In fact, he said I could probably put a piece of liver on that bun and he would eat it.  Now, let me just say, that bun must be something special for him to say that.  (And it is!!)  I made a few tweaks to the recipe for the marinade and will tweak it some more when I make it again.

 Recipe as I made it
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup olive oil (not extra virgin)
2 Tbs grated ginger
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 Tbs dijon mustard
1 Tbs red pepper flakes

(As you can see, I only tweaked it by adding some heat.  Next time I make it I will use low sodium soy sauce and less mustard.  It was just a little too salty and the mustard took over more than I like.  It was unbalanced.)

I butterflied the chicken breasts and then pounded them flat and even.  I wanted to use the grill pans on the panini grill so I wanted them pretty thin.  The chicken went in the marinade at room temperature for 20 minutes.  Any longer and you would want to refrigerate it but I have seen many times on the Food Network that you should let your meat come to room temp before you cook it.  If it is cold the outside will get done before the inside will.  I then put the grill on high, put the chicken on and shut the lid for 5 minutes.  Flip the chicken and cook it for another 3 minutes or until it is done.  That will all depend on how thin you pound it.

The chicken was so flavorful we did not need any type on saucy condiment.  I just toasted the ciabatta buns, sliced up a tomato and got out some leaf lettuce.  We had our favorite Spicy Nacho Dorito's on the side.

Very tasty and yes, it is a do-over.


2 comments:

  1. That sounds really good! And the dijon mustard did sound like a lot for the proportions to everything else. It sounds rather strong too for fish. Can we have cheese burger night on Thursday???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not being a chicken fan it's cool to have found a way to eat it as it's one of the healthier proteins.

    ReplyDelete