Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Flank steak and rosemary potato salad



Flank steak, potato salad and asparagus.  It's what's for dinner!!  I had half a flank steak left from the Father's Day dinner and a desire to use rosemary in some potato salad and needed a green.  I tried a different marinade for the meat today and I really liked it.  And the rosemary potato salad is what I made yesterday evening so the flavors could "marry" overnight.  The asparagus is the bacon asparagus recipe from many posts ago.  It is our new favorite way to have asparagus and I am just not tired of it yet.  There are only two really reliable green veggies that get a smile from my darling husband/best friend, asparagus and green beans, so we have them very often.  I really like brussel sprouts and spinach but they were not met with rave reviews.  Still working on them and him.

Marinade for Flank Steak
1 Tbs Montreal Steak seasoning
1/4 cup soy sauce (I used the less sodium one)
1 Tbs honey
1 tsp red pepper flakes
4 cloves garlic chopped fine
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp canola oil
2 scallions chopped

I cut two pounds of flank steak very thin across the grain.  I have never had any luck with cooking a whole flank steak but sliced always comes out good.  I put the slices of steak in the marinade for 20 minutes and then cooked them a few at a time in a skillet on medium high in just enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan.  Just a minute for each one, you want it to still retain a bit of pink.  After I got it all cooked up I put all the steak (and the juices on the plate) back in the pan off the heat and put some tin foil over it until we were ready to eat.

Rosemary Potato Salad
5-6 potatoes cubed and boiled until fork tender (careful not to overcook)
1/3 cup chopped red onion (just as fine as you can get it)
1 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs red wine vinegar (I used a garlic flavored one)
2 Tbs mayonnaise (I use light mayo)
1 Tbs dijon mustard
1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 tsp dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste (eight grinds each with my grinder)

Let the potatoes cool some before you mix it with the dressing (which is everything else in the recipe) and I prefer to let things like that set overnight.  You can eat it the same day and when I tasted it warm it was pretty good.  Darling husband/best friend does not like any kind of potato salad warm...

I was really happy with the meal.  The original plan was to have chicken as the protein but things happen.  I think all the flavors were good together.  The meat was spicy and the potato salad cooling and the bacon asparagus...well, the bacon asparagus is just GOOD.

Happy and full!!! and satisfied...

2 comments:

  1. Yum-o! That potato salad sounds/looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The potato salad was good but the asparagus was the best.

    ReplyDelete