Thursday, June 14, 2012

Fish...the do-over...




This will be a short post because we kinda did a do-over.  Whenever I try something for the first time I always ask my darling husband/best friend whether it was a do-over or scrap it and try something else.  The battered fish from the other day was given do-over status so when fish time came around this week it was the preparation of choice.  I was glad for many reasons.  I wanted to try and perfect the batter from last time, it was too salty.  And I had the oil from frying up the tortilla chips for Mexican night that needed to go soon.  Now it really needs to go.  Nothing trashes oil quite like frying fish in it.

I had the recipe for the batter written with the salt and pepper part being to taste.  I added NO salt this time and it was much better.  You might want to try that if yours turned out too salty too.

I made the spicy brown rice from the previous fish night menu and the tartar sauce.  As you can see from the picture I also used up the extra batter with some onion rings.  The only new thing on the plate, and the deviation from the previous fish night menu, is the slaw.  I had leftover Nappa cabbage that I wanted to use up so I made some slaw.

The Family Slaw

1/2 Cabbage thinly shredded
1 carrot grated on the fine side of the box grater
2 scallions thinly sliced

dressing:
1 cup mayo (I use light)
1 Tbs sugar
2 Tbs lemon juice
pepper to taste

Mix it all up and call it done!  Now, if you want it dryer, use less dressing.  Moister?  Make more.  It's all in your hands.

All and all it was an improvement on the first attempt.  That makes me happy.   I always want to do better.  I love seeing the smile on my darling husband/best friends face...and I love the empty plate...

That is the BEST compliment you can give to the chef.

Full and happy!!!

1 comment:

  1. This rice is one of my top 3 fave dishes the wife cooks. It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete