Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Chipotle Pepper Chicken Tacos





It's chicken night.  I had to freeze a couple pieces of boneless skinless chicken breast last week because the pack I bought was just too big for one meal.  I always worry about using chicken that's been frozen.  I didn't just want to cook the usual, rosemary chicken, from frozen so I started looking for a new recipe. My darling husband/best friend really likes spicy so I went looking for it.  And, boy, is this recipe spicy.  I had to tweak it a bit to fit with what I had and the servings amount. The original recipe fed about six and I just wanted enough for the two of us.

Chipotle Chicken
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 onion sliced
2 cloves garlic sliced
2 tomatoes
2 ounces of chipotle peppers in adobe sauce
1/2 tsp chicken bouillon granules
1 onion thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic minced

Put the chicken in a pot and just cover it with water.  Add the1/2 onion and 2 cloves sliced garlic and bring it to a boil.  Cook it about 25 minutes or until no longer pink.  Take it out of the pot and set it aside to cool.  When it is cool, tear it apart into shreds, either with two forks or with your fingers.

Put the two tomatoes in the boiling chicken water after you take the chicken out and boil them until the skins split, about three to five minutes depending on the size of your tomatoes.

Put the one thinly sliced onion and the 2 cloves garlic minced in a Tbs of olive oil in a skillet and cook until the onions are tender.

In a blender put the chipotle peppers and chicken bouillon granules and the two tomatoes when they are done and blend til smooth.  When blended put it in the skillet with the tender onions and garlic.  Add your shredded chicken and heat through.

We had corn tortillas,which I warmed up in a dry skillet on medium high about 15 seconds each side.  We topped our tacos with tomato, lettuce and mexican blend shredded cheese.  I think the next time I make this, and there will be a next time, I will have some sour cream on hand to cool it down a little for me.  I'm a wimp.  I admit it.

Full and satisfied.  I love it when a new recipe works out.

1 comment:

  1. These were very spicy and it only took 6 to fill me up.

    ReplyDelete