Monday, June 25, 2012

The Guy Fieri tour continues...

I've been gone for several day.  Had a mini-vacation from the stove.  (A couple of nights doing the take out thing makes you appreciate good home cooking again.)

On Saturday we went to Charlotte NC to the yearly pilgramage of Geekdom also known as HeroCon.  I love every minute of it.  Being new to the geek world nothing is passe.  Anyway, that has nothing to do with food but it is the reason I was in Charlotte and got to eat where I got to eat. My darling husband/best friend has quite the surprise for me when dinner time came around.  He is a Food Network watcher for my sake and we watch a lot of Guy Fieri.  Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives is one of my (and the budding young chef, Nick's) favorites.  My darling husband/best friend did some research and found two sites in walking distance of each other in Charlotte.  We have managed to eat at one other site, Hillbilly Hot Dogs, and went to The Central City Cafe in Huntington,  but they were closed.  We will go back there during business hours someday.  

We had dinner at the Dish.  It was a blast.  The food was secondary to the fact that we were at establishment that Guy had been at.  The dinner at the Dish was good food.  For appetizer we had the cajun meatloaf sliders. Not bad, meatloaf with a kick, cheese and a pickle on a small ciabatta roll. The DHBF and I had the southwestern burger, he had squash and onions for a side and I had collard greens.  The collard greens were the bomb. Mike had the bacon cheeseburger with chips and mac n cheese and Nick had the pot roast platter with mac n cheese and mashed potatoes.  The pot roast got top votes. Even Mike liked it.  We didn't have the signature dish that Guy had (didn't know what it was til we got home) the chicken n dumplings.  If I ever go back, that is what I will have.  You will be seeing an attempt at collard greens in the near future. Perhaps a new green I can introduce into the repertoire.

My Guys at the Dish!!




Nick and I standing under the Guy Fieri head...


Cool retro sign!!
Nick and I outside the Penguin


The dessert menu is not huge at the Penguin.  DHBF and Nick had a Cheerwine float, Mike had a chocolate shake and I had the banana pudding.  I was so happy the pudding was made just like I make it.  No instant pudding here.  Yay!!!  We were all so full we could pop.

What a delightful surprise to end a wonderful day!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment