Thursday, May 31, 2012

Spicy...whew...

Well...no picture...we sorta dove in to quickly cause we were hon-gree and just plain forgot!  Sorry.

I still had some Italian sausage left from the other day.  (Remember, I had the marvelous coupon and just had to use it.)  Today I decided to spice up an old favorite.  My darling husband/best friend cooked dinner one night (before he became the husband part of his name) and it still rotates into the dinner rounds quite often.  The original recipe is a package of Zatarain's Dirty Rice with browned sage sausage.  The box tells you how to do this with hamburger but we prefer the taste of the sausage.  Tonight I decided to expound on that recipe.

I took the rest of the Italian sausage out of their casing and put it in the skillet on medium high with one chopped onion, one chopped green pepper, one seeded and chopped jalapeno pepper and three chopped cloves of garlic and a splash of olive oil.  After the sausage was done and the peppers a little softened (about four minutes) I added one can of kidney beans and the Zatarain's mix with 2 cups of water.  I brought this to a boil and turned it down to a simmer and cooked it for about an hour.  We had some leftover raspberry tea to wash it down with...and man, did that hit the spot.  I will admit, this dish was on the verge of being a bit too spicy for me.  I think that jalapeno pepper was a hot one.  Sometimes they are real mild but sometimes, whew....sweating...

My darling husband/best friend took one bite and said, man-that's good.  Words to warm a cook's heart.  There is nothing like cooking for someone who truly appreciates your efforts. Thanks honey.

With no protein left in the house, I have no idea what tomorrow will bring to the dinner plate. That's exciting.  Maybe I will be able to pull out something brand new and complicated and try my hand at it.  Keep the Pizza Hut number handy...

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm not sure about that. I could tell it was spicy but nothing to really note. I guess our tolerances are getting farther apart with time.

    ReplyDelete