Friday, May 25, 2012

I wanted Mexican...



I had some free time today and decided I wanted some Mexican flavors for dinner.  I had some corn tortillas left from making Chicken Tortilla Soup (more about that when I make it again).  You cannot buy just a few corn tortillas.  They always come in packs of a million.  Exaggeration, of course.  However, I did have a daunting amount left and just felt the need to use them up.  I also had a couple of jalapeno peppers left in the bin calling out to be used before they shriveled.  So what to make with corn tortillas and jalapeno peppers.  One of my favorite appetizers at any restaurant is nachos.  From the simple, just chips and cheese, to the elaborate, piled high with everything but the kitchen sink.  My darling husband/best friend has a penchant for pico de gallo so with those two things in mind (nachos and pico) I decided on dinner.  The first step was to assemble the pico since it always tastes better the longer it sets.

Pico de Gallo

6 Roma tomatoes seeded and diced to the best of your ability
1/2 red onion diced as above
2 jalapeno peppers -you know the drill
fresh cilantro chopped fine-the amount is to taste, some like a little, some like a lot
3 cloves of garlic -minced (we like garlic)
juice of 1 lime
salt and pepper

As those flavors were marrying I put on the beginnings of the refried beans.

Refried Beans

2 Tblsp bacon grease (everybody has bacon grease on hand, right?)
1/2 red onion diced (see, you get to use the whole onion)
3 cloves garlic minced (told you we liked garlic)
1 can refried beans

Heat the grease and add the onion and garlic.  Allow that to cook for about a minute and then stir in the beans and let it just set on simmer.

So, the pico is marrying, the beans are simmering and now it is time to put on the taco meat.  I went the easy route on this and just used the Old El Paso seasoning and a pound of burger.  Just follow the directions on the package.  And while that is simmering it's time to fry up the tortillas.  I just put a few inches of oil in the pot and put it on medium high.  I knew it was ready when I put a triangle of tortilla in and it sizzled.  I made the mistake of cooking some of the tortillas whole and they were not as crispy as the chips ones I made.  Next time they will all be chips size.  (And there will be a next time for this meal.)  I also went simple on the cheese.  I just got a store bought queso.  Get your favorite brand.  My next endeavor in this meal will be to make my own meat seasoning and my own cheese sauce.  Baby steps.  We are ending this meal with some chocolate coffee.  Yummm...

1 comment: