Tuesday, July 17, 2012

White Cheese Enchiladas


Flank Steak Enchiladas...yummmmm.

Ever since we had the cilantro cream sauce enchiladas I have been wanting to remake them with a different sauce.  Some sort of cheesy sauce...

I put flank steak mixed with onions, garlic and cheese, black beans straight from the can drained and rinsed and quick Mexican rice in the enchiladas and topped it with a cheese sauce.  You can use some thinly sliced green onion as a garnish.  As you can see from the picture I had leftover rice for a side dish.  You can cut the rice recipe in half if you don't want the extra but we are rice lovers in this house!

White Cheese Sauce
1 pound American white cheese cubed
1/3 cup of milk
1 tablespoon butter
2  4 ounce cans jalapeno peppers
2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon onion powder

Put the butter, cheese and milk in a saucepan on low heat and cook until cheese is melted.  You will need to pay attention to this so the cheese doesn't burn.  After it's melted add the rest of the ingredients.  If you want it thinner just keep adding milk.  I made the mistake of thinking it was thin enough because when it is hot it appears thinner.  Next time I will add a little more milk so when it sets up it won't be so thick.  If you have ever made cooked pudding you want it thinner than that.  I got to the pudding consistency and thought I was done...

I made a quicky Mexican rice because I didn't have the time for the really good stuff.  It was pretty good for being so quick.

Quick Mexican Rice
1 cup basmatti rice
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon butter
4 tablespoons salsa (whatever you like)

Put everything in the pot and bring it to a boil.  Turn it down to a simmer, lid it and let it cook for 20 minutes.
I then added the black beans to the rice.

I used the same meat marinade that we used when we made the cilantro enchiladas.  I'll repeat so you don't have to go back to that post.

The Flank Steak
2 pounds flank steak cut into thin strips then cut the strips into inch long pieces then marinate
1/2 onion chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
2 cups shredded cheese (I used the Kraft with the jalapeno peppers.  You can use cheddar/jack)

Marinade
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup lime juice
3 cloves garlic chopped
1/2 onion chopped
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt and pepper

add the cut flank steak to the marinade and let it go until everything else is done.  The meat cooks up in a minute so you can wait until the end to cook it.  That's the advantage of cutting it so small.  You just want to fry it up in a little oil until it is just slightly pink.  Take the meat out and put in the other half of the onion chopped and the garlic and cook til soft.  Add the meat, onions, garlic and cheese into a bowl and mix.

Heat the corn tortilla in some 300 degree oil to loosen it up, about 5 seconds.  It's gonna be hot so be careful...put a spoon of the meat and cheese mixture and a spoon of the rice and beans in the middle of the tortilla and fold the two sides over and put it in the cake pan.  I sprayed the pan with some oil before I put anything in it.  When you have the pan full pour your white cheese sauce on top and put in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes.  I turned the broiler on for the last two minutes to get some color on the sauce.

This turned out pretty good.  I do want to try it again and thin that sauce out a little but the flavor was spot on.   My darling husband/best friend said it needed just a bit more heat for him (told you he liked it hot) so I will add some red pepper flakes to the meat mixture and see what that does.  Right now I am full as a tick and pretty happy!  Satisfaction once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment